Friday, June 29, 2007

Egg Hunt


I suppose it is no surprise that most of what I do revolves around food. In addition to gardening, one of my side "hobbies" is coordinating the purchases of our buying club. I inherited the job from the previous coordinator and it has certainly facilitated our Breatharian lifestyle and made it more affordable. It's fun, too. I get to do foodie stuff and spend other people's money. What's not to love? Members ask me my opinion on products and foods and I always have an opinion about something. A former supervisor acerbically informed me once that there is such a thing as an unexpressed thought. Really? Who knew?

We took delivery on our co-op order recently. Part of the shipment were two cases of eggs from an "Amish Farm" (who knows how authentic this is, but I'm taking it on faith). This is the third delivery we've gotten from them and the stuff has been largely satisfactory, at least as far as I'm concerned. In digging through the case to check for breakage, I found a few cartons with an egg missing out of each. And then....

The next carton had an egg missing. In its place was a wad of packing tape.

The next carton had a screw tucked under one of the eggs.

The next carton had a dime tucked under one of the eggs.

The next carton had a business card for an Amish cobbler and horse equipage in Ohio.

The denouement? The egg that was swathed in packing tape. One egg. In the entire carton.

?????

Dog says, "What kind of weird scavenger hunt was that?" Yeah. What he said.

So that farmer and me? Oh, we're gonna talk....

Almost Everything Free French Toast, 'Cha

Several slices of Almost Everything Free Sourdough Bread
14 oz of coconut milk or other dairy replacer
4 eggs
1-2 tsp ghee

Blend up substitute milk with eggs. Sweetener can be added, if desired. Heat cast iron griddle or skillet on medium low, melting ghee until the oil is in motion. Meanwhile, soak bread slices in milk/egg mixture on both sides until saturated. Place as many slices will fit into the heated skillet and cook until browned on both sides and no longer wet in the center.

Can be served plain or with desired topping.

2 comments:

purple_kangaroo said...

How very, very strange about the eggs. Let us know what you find out, please?

Loztnausten said...

It appears that this is going to remain one of the unsolved mysteries of life. :P I can't get the farmer to return my calls...